Find out how to make dry caramel with this helpful video. Make caramel shards, caramel cages or caramel spirals with our step-by-step video.
1. In a heavy based pan, heat caster sugar over a gentle heat until sugar has dissolved.
2. Bring to boil without stirring and let sugar bubble away until medium caramel colour.
3. Once syrup starts to colour, watch it closely, colour can deepen rapidly, and very dark caramel may taste bitter.
4. Pour caramel on to a greased baking tray. Allow to set and break into shards if desired.
5. Dry caramel is malleable and can be made into decorative shapes. For caramel cages, drizzle caramel in a criss-cross pattern over back of a greased ladle then carefully lift off when set.
6. For caramel spirals, loop caramel around lightly greased handle of a spoon. Allow to set and carefully pull off.
Read the dry caramel recipe on the Good Housekeeping website: http://bit.ly/2G18Klz