Knowing how to prepare fresh artichoke hearts can seem fiddly, but our step-by-step video will show you how to do it easily.
1. Put lemon juice and cold water into bowl and set aside. Cut most of stalk off artichoke with a sharp knife, leaving about 2.5cm (1in) on. Cut off top third of artichoke, to expose dark pink ‘heart’ inside.
2. Tear off tough leaves at base and outer leaves until yellowy, green centre is exposed.
3. Use a small sharp knife to trim away green, woody parts at base around stalk.
4. Use a teaspoon to scoop out fibrous ‘choke’ in centre. If you’re not cooking it immediately, leave in lemon water or cook in boiling salted water with a squeeze of lemon for 15-20min until tender.
Find out how to prepare fresh artichoke hearts on the Good Housekeeping website: http://bit.ly/2G8Ayog
Explore more recipes, kitchen and lifestyle hacks and subscribe to the Good Housekeeping channel here: https://bit.ly/2TM6CWC
'Artichoke contains many active chemicals, including caffeoylquinic acids, shown to speed up the production of bile in the liver , and increase the rate at which it is released from the gall bladder. Bile is the natural delivery system that carries processed toxins away from the liver in order to be removed via the bowel'.
– medical cookery by Dale Pinnock.